Bridge pipe railing passes the test for the highest performance class. This parapet has two pipes based on standard profile.
The parapet is airy and aesthetically pleasing and, for reason, it is used where there is a requirement for a tastefully-designed traffic environment with good overall visibility, for example, at traffic interchanges, water conservation areas, bridges over railways, watercourses or cultural sites.
- Safety-walks range in width from 450mm to less than 1200mm. On existing freeway and interstate structures with safety-walks, where it is not feasible to remove the safety-walk and provide a concrete, barrier-shaped parapet, the piperailing shall be carried across the structure along the gutter line. However, on existing freeway and Interstate ramps where the posted speed or advisory speed is 40 mph or less and thesafetywalk is 50mmor less in width, it is not necessary to carry guide rail across the structure since vaulting is not likely to occur.
- Where the roadway approaching a structure has curbs or berms, the pipe railing mounting height on the structure should be measured from the top of curb and rub rail is required. However, on long structures, the piperailing mounting height may be measured from the gutter line provided the face of piperailing is flush with the curb face. In this case rub rail will not be required.The piperailing mounting height should be measured from the gutter line on those structures where the approach roadway is an umbrella section and the face of pipe railing is set flush with the curb face on the structure. Where guide rail is set flush with the curb face and the mounting height is measured from the gutter line, rub rail is not required.
- Where there is a difference in the offset to the approach pipe railing and the offset to the bridge parapet, the approach piperailing should be flared at 15:1 prior to the standard pipe railing transition to the bridge parapet.
- Attachment of pipe railing to bridges and structures shall be in accordance with the Department’s Standard Roadway Construction Details, revised or modified Standard Details or Special Details. The designer shall specify at each location on the construction plans the pipe railing attachment detail to be used.
- Where there is considerable pedestrian traffic, the pipe railing may be set flush to the curb face to physically separate pedestrians from vehicular traffic if feasible.
At Fixed Object
Where piperailing is used to shield an isolated obstruction, it is most important that the piperailing be located as far from the traveled way as possible to minimize the probability of impact. The distance from the back of the rail element to the face of obstruction should desirably be 1200mm. or greater, if less than 1200mmmust be used, the piperailingsystem must be modified.If the piperailing in advance of the obstruction is to be flared, no portion of the flare should be within the modified section of piperailing.
- PIPE RAILLING
PIPE RAILLING Brochure (Download PDF)